Kids and Parents
Teaching Kids How to Deal with Feelings
This is a project in progress. Bob Gottfried and his team at ACE Clinics are presently creating a multimedia program that will teach kids the important skills of understanding, managing and dealing with feelings and improve social and communication skills.
The program will be accompanied by a guide for parents and educators.
The 10 Commandments of Good Parenting
- Teach your child how to deal with emotions
- Avoid comparison (everyone is different)
- Encourage positive behaviour
- Focus on strengths not weaknesses
- Be sensitive to your child’s needs and preferences
- Teach social values (teach by example)
- Be a great listener (listen more, talk less)
- Show trust and nurture responsibility
- Clarify and enforce reasonable expectations
- Respect your child’s boundaries
Also see “A Baking Recipe for Parenting” (poem) in the The Arts section